Friday, October 7, 2011

Today's Best Place

Mabaruma is a small town (pop 1500-2000) built on the ridge line above two valleys. The people here are mostly Amerindian; the native population of Guyana before the English, Dutch, blacks and East Indians arrived. They are short, dark skinned and have dark hair. Mabaruma also has a fair number of blacks but I think fewer East Indians proportionally then Georgetown (a note on race and the discussion of race in Guyana: there is no such thing as political correctness. If someone is black, you call them black (or even “coolies”-British carryover). If someone is East Indian it is okay to say so. It isn’t even considered derogatory to call someone fat or “fine” (skinny). You are what you are. As I was walking the other day a little girl called out to me “White Miss! White Miss! Good afternoon!” and that was just right). Things are just tougher here; laundry, clean water, food. They all require much more work to get then in the states. Even the vegetables are tougher. I went to the market on Tuesday with Shundel and was so excited to find something they called spinach there. As soon as I got it home I rinsed it, bleached it, rinsed it in clean water, and then stuck it into my mouth. Mid-chew Shundel queried, “What’s that you’re eating?” 
“Spinach!” I replied triumphantly. 
“Ohhh...it make your mouth itch!” 
And just about then it started. “Spinach” here has tiny spines on it. I spat out the offensive vegetable and dejectedly garaged salt water to clean my cuts. Lesson learned. 
I feel safe here in Mabaruma-despite the vegetables. There is little crime, I haven’t seen any snakes (I’m guessing they are not terribly common-both Dani and Micah run around barefoot and the worst they get aside from cuts are chiggers, which, while unpleasant, are not dangerous), and the people like both Americans and missionaries. The sun pretty much sets and rises at 6 each day. Bucket showers take a little getting used to but they are quite doable. There are far too many bugs to count or stress about. So I’m trying to stop. 
I am not comfortable here yet but I see how I could be comfortable here and that is encouraging. I miss home. Being away at college or camp and being away in Guyana are much different. Something about knowing that my parents or friends could not be here quickly even if they really wanted to be makes it feel much farther away. I have been having some culture shock-trouble eating new food (beyond when the food tries to eat me), waking up happy, etc etc. The end of last week and beginning of this week were particularly hard but Wednesday, Thursday and today have been much better. I hope and believe that things will continue to get better. One day at a time.
I know I am supposed to be here. To get me here has been a journey, one that I will write about some other time. But through the process I have seen the hand of God and I know that I am supposed to be here. And so here I am. Uncomfortable but adjusting; knowing that I am in the right place. Which, really, is the best place to be.

3 comments:

  1. I think about you everyday, cousin. I am so proud of you! I know that I am not as far away from you as you are, and that I'm still in America, etc. But whenever I get a smidge homesick, or when I was worrying about being so far away before we moved, I think about Bestemor moving to America, all by herself with two kids under the age of 4, and a little dog. I don't know how she did it, but she did. And if she can do it--move to a far away place where she didn't know the language, the people, the food--I like to think that I can too. And so can you. We're all from the same gene pool. :)

    If moving to Atlanta has taught me anything so far, its that God has a way of piecing things together for us, and putting us where we need to be. And that He doesn't give us more than we can handle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that thought Kristina. I hadn't thought of that before and it is encouraging. I admire the way you and David have just gone. Trusted and went to for it. We can do this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll second Kristina's thoughts. Anni, I'm proud of you as well and am so stinking proud to have you as a friend that I can look up to, respect and trust. In 1 Corinthians 10:13, it talks about how God will not let us be tempted beyond what we can bear. I don't think you're being tempted here, but the verse finishes by saying that when we are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. He's your rock, Anni.
    And not only am I proud of you just for being there, but you have the best outlook on your life out there as well. I expect you to be giving me teaching advice soon :)

    ReplyDelete